While I planned to release Chroma Game last weekend, the codebase isn’t stable enough to release. I’m still wondering if I want to continue with it or leave it forever.
In the meantime, I wanted to breathe some fresh air and thought of trying tvOS development to call myself an Apple Platforms engineer! (With previous experience with watchOS and macOS)
I’ll document every step over the year of creating small example apps like a TV app of Quoting, a music app, a video app, etc. If you’ve any ideas, let me know.
While I am still exploring this new OS, here are some curated resources that you can refer to:
- WWDC ‘19 SwiftUI on All Devices
- WWDC ‘20 Build SwiftUI apps for tvOS
- WWDC ‘20 Discover search suggestions for Apple TV
- WWDC ‘20 Master Picture in Picture on tvOS
- WWDC ‘21 Deliver a great playback experience on tvOS
- WWDC ‘21 Simplify sign in for your tvOS apps
- SwiftUI on tvOS by Raywenderlich
- Building tvOS 15 News App with SwiftUI 3 and NewsAPI by Xcoding with Alfian
While the initial impressions with SwiftUI’s support for tvOS haven’t been great, I am still looking forward to experimenting on the large screen.
Tag @rudrankriyam on Twitter if you have experience working with tvOS and want to spread some knowledge around!
Thanks for reading, and I hope you’re enjoying it!